Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Piles of Fun

My son is five and I've noticed that lately his bedroom resembles a teenager's. It's a pigsty. He's obsessed with little things, little toys, little objects from around the house, and his floor is covered in them. Everyday I make him go through the routine of at least arranging the little objects in corners and, yes, sometimes I do it for him just to make a pathway to walk through.

I noticed last night that there was a bit of a method to his chaos. Amongst the garden of toys on his floor I noticed that there were three birds next to three trains.

Hmm...I thought, is this mess really a mess or am I just missing the point?

Then, tonight I walked into my bedroom and I was faced with my answer.

My mirror was lying on the floor and on top of it there was a very neatly placed pile. It consisted of a remote control, a tape measure, a small cardboard box, an empty Skittles package, a Jane Austin novel, and a dirty sock.

I stopped in my tracks. You see, I do not keep any of these things together, nor do I save things like empty Skittles packages. He had to tap a number of resources around our house to come up with this creation.
I called my husband in to see and he called in Jeffrey.

Jeffrey can't talk but he imitates sounds in speech. He saw that we were looking at his pile of fun and he pointed at it and said what may have been, "I did that."

He smiled, proud of his work.

Little did I know that my house isn't really a mess, it's a gallery.

2 comments:

KC's Blog said...

Jeffrey's Gallery. Our children are so special, they can see beauty is what some may not. Your little fella is brilliant!

KC's Blog said...

"they can see the beauty in things that other's may not see."